Friday, June 22, 2012

Spaceship Earth, the centerpiece for Epcot weighs 16 million pounds. The outer skin is made up of 11,324 aluminum and plastic-alloy triangles.

Also: Rainwater never falls off the sphere.  It's channeled into the ball and funneled away.  

When I first read this, I thought: that is a lot of weight!  Then, when I learned about the rainwater, I was completely blown away.  This is a perfect example of Disney's attention to detail. It rains a lot in Florida.  Some people say that in August it rains every day.  So, the simple fact that Disney didn't want rainwater pouring off the edge of the attraction onto unsuspecting guests shouldn't surprise me.  It still does though.  Mix that with the fact that I can be a doubter--and well, next time I'm at Epcot in the rain, I'm going to head over to Spaceship earth and see for myself.  


No comments:

Post a Comment