Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Chef Mickey's -the legend vs. the reality

On every trip, I dreamed of eating at Chef Mickey's and for whatever reason, we never did.  Located on the fourth floor of the Contemporary Resort, you can even see the monorail overhead from certain areas in the restaurant.  In addition to that, you also get to meet the Fab 5--Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, and Pluto. On the trip for our daughter's second birthday, I wasn't about to let her miss out (and I was finally going to get my chance).

So, we arrive, check in, and get our picture in front of the Chef Mickey plate.  We are seated in a section that doesn't allow us a view of the monorail zipping through.  I won't let this disappoint me, and we take turns getting food and hanging out with Ruby.  The restaurant is full, and a little noisy. The theme of the restaurant has some great Mickey Pop Art. I love Mickey Pop Art, my parents just want to eat, and not talk about the decorations.  This meal is not turning out quite the way I had hoped.  The food is on par with other buffets around property.  No one had any complaints, but nothing stuck out as spectacular.  Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Pluto all make their way past the table.  Minnie takes extra time as Ruby is opening gifts, and Ruby wants to show her the present.  After we finish eating, and we all have an ice cream sundae, a cupcake arrives (see Monday's Magical Memory) and Ruby is thrilled all over again.

Overall, the experience was less than I expected.  I think Chef Mickey's is one of those places that everyone MUST experience, because you want to say you've done it, and it does provide a nice character experience with the Fab 5.  I had heard rave reviews about Chef Mickey's and while I was not disappointed, I also didn't add it to our "must do's".  It's nice to be able to meet all the characters while you're eating and not have to wait in line at the parks.  Of course, Ruby LOVED spending time with the characters, so we stood in the lines anyway.




No comments:

Post a Comment