Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Vacation is for...Relaxing with Recreation options at Walt Disney World

I have always been in the camp of non-stop park action at Disney.  I figure, I've paid for the parks, I should use them.  I forget that we also pay to stay at a Disney resort, and there has to be a reason for that.  I love the parks, I love the shows, rides and street entertainment.

My parents are more of the "been there, done that" camp.  They are of course a blessing to me because of this.  They take time to explore the resort, and do all sorts of things outside the parks.  This last trip, I decided to balance the way I do things with the way they do things.

One of the best recreation options, that I believe is overlooked at any of the magic kingdom resorts is the ability to rent watercraft.  I've overlooked it myself.  We always get a coupon for a discount on a rental during our stay, but I've never had any desire to do things I think I could do at home.  I have to admit, I was wrong about this one.  Dad rented a Sea Raycer to take out Ruby on our last trip.  For right around $30, he got 30 minutes of uninterrupted time with his granddaughter.  First, they got life vests (safety first), then dad got instructions on how to operate the boat.  Ruby listened intently, so that if her grandpa forgot anything, her 3 year old mind would be able to recall it.  It looked, from the shore, to be a very serious ordeal.  Of course, she fell asleep about 5 minutes into the ride, but he enjoyed cruising around Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon and taking in the sights.  Discovery Island, River Country, even a different view of the Magic Kingdom.  No tour guides, no crowds, just him and the water.  I admit-I was jealous.  He never suggested taking my mom, brother or I out on the lake before.   Ruby tells me she had a good time on her boat ride with grandpa, except that it got "really hot".

Walt Disney World is full of these memory-making recreation activities.  Simple things, like pool parties at 3pm every day, or an evening movie and campfire .  What about real entertainment on the boardwalk?  As with everything it does, Disney does recreation well.  Golf courses, spas and carriage rides are only a few of the options available to guests staying on property at Walt Disney World resort.

What recreation options have you tried?

No comments:

Post a Comment